Friday, January 25, 2013

Illness Part 6: Questions

I think that I might have a cold. The thing is, I can't tell.

After I had my thyroid removed, my entire body chemistry changed. I am not exaggerating - everything changed.

People who've known me for any length of time notice that I feel different. My sister remarked, over the phone and from hundreds of miles away, "You sound so energetic."

The one glitch, switching the dose of my medication, left me miserable for two weeks, but as soon as I spoke to my surgeon, he did what I was sure he'd do and said, "Sure, we'll switch you back." My endocrinologist said, "Most people feel better at higher levels. You're obviously not one of those people." THANK YOU for seeing me as a person and not as a statistic! I cannot stand hearing that something is being done to me personally based on a generalization about "most" people.

I'm sleeping less than I ever did. I routinely wake up five minutes before my alarm. I also actually fall asleep when I go to bed. It's glorious.

I have not been sick in the five months since the surgery. Never, ever in my life have I gone through five illness free months, EVER, and I'm 47. It would be astounding in the summer, but we've gone all the way through fall and most of the winter. I have been exposed to pneumonia, strep throat, laryngitis, the flu, numerous colds, coughs and sneezes, and I have caught none of it. Even my allergies are quiet.

Normally, I get it first, and I get it worst, if there's an illness within what feels like a hundred mile radius. My son has had two nasty bouts of the flu, right here in my house, and I didn't catch it.

Holy cow.

Three days ago, I was unaccountably tired and had sinus drainage down my throat. Well, it's finally happened, I thought. Here comes a cold. I took a nap and woke up feeling much better. "That's odd," I said.

"No, Mom, that's normal," said my teenage son. "That's how it works in normal people."

By that evening, my sinus issues still hadn't gone away. In fact, three days later, I still feel the same way. My throat is irritated, and I'm tired, despite having had a nap. I woke up with a sneezing fit and needed decongestants two nights ago. It's not bad, it's just not good.

On the one hand, I feel draggy enough that it's obviously different. On the other hand, I still feel worlds better than I did even on good days before the surgery.

So I'm still puzzled. Something is going on, but is it enough of a "something" to qualify as "sick?"

Either these are the most pathetic, weenie germs that I've ever encountered, or I don't have a cold. If I don't have a cold, what do I have?

If this is the new "sick" experience, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment