Monday, March 5, 2012

The Eye of the Beholder

As a creator of art myself, I tend to be pretty laid back in my attitude about art other people create. I don't like to over criticize; I don't feel that others need to pass some kind of litmus test before I consider their creations legitimate.

I also think that the purpose of hotel art is to be almost nondescript. Hotel art tends toward the pleasantly bland, like plain oatmeal. Hoteliers don't want guests stealing the art off of the walls.

I also think that's an untapped source of revenue, though - "Like this painting? Buy it at checkout!" It might be a bit of a pain in the butt, stocking all kinds of prints behind the desk, but without frames, they wouldn't take much space. You wouldn't have to charge much to make money.

Anyway, that's not the subject at hand.

I recently stayed in a very nice hotel. It was a high rise condo building - not normally my first choice, as I'm not a big city dweller. Some of the units were owner occupied, and some were short term rentals. The property was downtown in the Honolulu business district, walking distance to banks, offices, and the courthouse. The hotel had conference facilities and the like. Instead of a regular room service menu, they had a brochure for local places that would cater your meeting.

I have to assume that they assumed that the guests wouldn't be spending much time outside the property. That's the only way I can explain the art.
.
In the kitchen, there was a print of ferns - that was the only remotely tropical subject. In the bedroom, there was this print:


Outside the window was this building:


I've zoomed in, obviously - it wasn't that close. I'm trying to demonstrate something. Yes, indeed, it is the same building. I'm really unclear on the thought process at work here: "Look! Here's what's right outside your window!"

At least the architecture is interesting. I am entirely baffled by the largest piece of art in the place, this watercolor hanging over the dining table:


Yes! It's a painting of a stoplight! Whose idea was that? Why in the world would someone say, "You know what? I really want to paint a traffic signal." It is beyond comprehension that someone would say, "This is what I think best represents Hawaii."

Was it specially comissioned? Were the property owners hoping that people would forget that Hawaii has beaches, waterfalls, luaus, boating and many other places and activities more exciting than a stoplight? Are they afraid that if you spent all day at meetings, in your suit and tie, you would become unhinged at the sight of palm trees and beaches? Were they hoping you'd feel good about long work days if you could look at the art in your room and say, "Hey, I saw that. This trip hasn't been wasted."

It's a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment