Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dress Code

One of the theater companies in my town has a tradition during the first rehearsal. As well as the nitty gritty of passing out schedules, contact lists and scripts, they do a round of introductions. Everyone tells their name, the part they'll play, and maybe a line or two about themselves - for instance, "This is my first show here, and I'm excited to work with all of you." Depending on the show, these introductions can be a lot of fun, like hearing my friend say, "I'm Blair, and I'm playing God."

Years ago, I worked on a production of "Pericles," and I introduced myself this way: "I'm Sharon. I'll be a costume runner, and any time I can work with men in skirts, it's a good day."

Anyone who's known me for any length of time knows about my love for men in kilts or Polynesian wrap skirts. Togas are nice; gladiator skirts are better. YUM.

Drag is an entirely different thing, and it doesn't affect me the same way. Drag is the equivalent of pageant hair and makeup; overdone, not necessarily feminine or attractive. I occasionally look at drag queens and wonder, "Is that how you view being female?" Most women I know spend their day in jeans and sneakers, not heels and sequins. Still, I had a drag queen do my makeup for my engagement photos specifically because he was better at doing makeup than I was. Anyway, I just want to be clear that I'm talking about men in skirts made for men, not ones in clothes made for women.

"Pericles" was nice for me, because our male cast spent the entire time in short (about mid-thigh) tunics and leather sandals. It was visually very appealing - which is good, because, as a member of the costume crew, I had to help clean the dressing rooms. They're lucky that I was feeling positive about them when I had to clean up after them. You don't want to clean a dressing room that's been occupied by lots of men in full body makeup. Just mucking out the showers was quite an experience.

I enjoy almost any opportunity to hang around with men in skirts.

These are my friends, Bruce and Bryan, and Bruce's brother, at a friend's wedding.


How fabulous is that? Bruce got married in that outfit.

I love traveling to Hawaii. The scenery is gorgeous, and the men know how to dress.





Sometimes, I even get to see men dressed this way here, on the mainland.







I love photos of David Tennant, Sean Connery and John Barrowman in their kilts, especially with tuxedo shirts, jackets and ties. I loved it when Patrick, one of the hosts of one of my husband's favorite TV shows, "Screen Savers," wore his utilikilt on the air. I repeat, YUM.

I have tried for years to talk my husband into being Zeus, or Caesar or a gladiator for Halloween, with no luck. He won't even consider it. SIGH.

Come on, men. Come on, designers. There's an untapped market here. They're comfortable. They're cool. They're easy access, and you'll never zip yourself into a zipper with one of these babies. I live in the desert; maybe we can talk men here into tunics.

No?

SIGH.

It's OK. I'm used to disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment