Thursday, July 17, 2014

"Discover Your Nevada"

A friend works for our state's tourism commission. They're holding a contest, currently, asking people to send in stories of "adventures" in order to choose ones to be featured in a magazine.

He let his writer and/or photographer friends know about the contest, and reminded us several times of the deadline. Still, I let it slide, because I was both indecisive and busy.

I mean, I could write about petroglyphs, the Pony Express fort, the old West mining towns, camping, homeschool field trips, photo spots, beaches, things that we do with visiting relatives - so many choices! How would I decide? What did people want to hear? A local's view of where I live, or exotic places? The popular spots or the unknown?

In the end, I went with, "What can I write on virtual autopilot?" On the very last day submissions were accepted, I was having bone surgery on my foot, and spending the rest of the day doing nothing but pain management and sleep. I didn't have a lot of time or mental energy to spare.

So, instead of being witty or amazing, I went with easy. I wrote about museums. My family loves museums. We love big ones, small ones, expensive ones, free ones - museums are fantastic.

If you're so inclined, here's the link for voting. If you want to vote for a piece besides mine, that's great, too. You can vote once every 24 hours.

http://discoveryournevada.com

Note: The contest is over. I didn't win. That's OK. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment