Monday, May 18, 2015

When You're Alone

Years ago, I told a friend, "I need serious hedonism lessons." After describing my weekend, the friend agreed, with horror, "Yes, you do!"

My family - husband and four children - were out of town. I'd had to fly back from vacation early, to perform in a play. So, I was alone in the house all day, then went to work on the show at night.

So, what did I do? I deep cleaned all four children's bedrooms. (Yes, they all had their own rooms.) Then, I shopped for new sheets and comforters, so they all came home to beds freshly made up with brand new, co-ordinated bedding.

That's part of my personality - I get the most done, and feel the most energetic, when I'm alone.

My husband does not understand this. Only one of my children understands this. Most of my friends think I'm somehow ill. But, there it is.

That, sincerely, has been the hardest part of homeschooling to get used to. I love having my kids home, I love creating our own schedule. I think that most kids learn best outside of classrooms. There are many reasons this works for us. But I am rarely, if ever, alone.

I've never been a great housekeeper, but one of my older children (who attended public school) looked at old photos and said, "Look how clean the house is!" Yeah; that was before we all spent our day in it. It was also when I had several hours a day by myself.

Today, my youngest child started her first part time job. I was alone for an hour and a half. (Mind you, I have a cold, and went to bed at 8:00 p.m. last night. I'm tired and draggy.) What did I do?

I folded and put away clean laundry. I sorted and washed dirty laundry. I hand washed a drawer's worth of wood handled knives. I straightened the living room. I shared a blog post. I read an article on education that I'd been wanting to finish. I put away books displaced from the bookshelves. I took out the trash. I cleaned the stove (who dribbled this stuff all over it?) I put away clean dishes.

Then, my son came home. We watched Netflix.

I love time with my family, I truly do. I think the house, though, will love me having some time alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment